CTC Maps > Website > Help > How do I report an obstruction?

How do I report an obstruction?

If you have encountered an obstruction and wish to report it, then you need to provide the local authority with enough information to find it.

When you come across an obstruction, mark its location on an OS map or GPS device. If you have a camera with you, take a few photos clearly showing the obstruction and make a note of any nearby landmarks and the type of way (footpath, bridleway, etc). If you don’t have a map handy, a quick sketch can help you find it later.

Other useful but non-essential information worth including if you know it is the name and address of the landowner., and the parish and path number. You can get the landowner’s details from the Land Registry, and the path information from the definitive map, kept at the local authority’s offices.

When you get home, log onto CTC’s obstruction reporting site and fill in the relevant information. If you don’t have an OS grid reference, you can use an online resource to obtain it, or locate the obstruction using our mapping software (as not all rights of way are visible on our map, it may help to switch to the satellite view). Our system will then use the location data to work out the correct local authority.

When you have filled in all the information, click on the ‘report obstruction’ button at the bottom. CTC will then send an email to the authority informing them of the obstruction. The obstruction will appear on our map of the UK, and you can check back to see what progress has taken place.


Please enter an OS grid reference, latitude & longitude, or select from the map. For more information, see the Specifying Locations help page.

Description of location

Any landmarks or features which will make the obstruction easier to find.

For example:

Description of obstruction

For example:

Date Encountered

Select the date you first were aware of this obstruction.

Type of way

A footpath will be marked on an OS explorer map by short green dashed lines, and may be marked on the ground by yellow signs and waymarkings.

A bridleway is marked by long green dashed lines, and is commonly signposted with blue waymarkings.

A restricted byway / road used as public path (RUPP) will be marked with green half-crosses (T-shapes) and may be marked on the ground with purple waymarkings.

A byway open to all traffic (BOAT) is marked with green crosses on the map, may be waymarked with red signs.

If the path is marked with orange dashed lines (either short or long dashes) then it is a permitted path, and is not the responsibility of the local authority.

For more information on OS explorer markings, see the Ordnance Survey’s Explorer Map Symbols document.

Path number

This information is on the definitive map, which is available from the local authority. It is not essential to report an obstruction.


You can find out the landowner from the Land Registry. This information is not essential to report an obstruction.